As a child, kool-aid made with a TON of sugar was our drink of choice. We would add more sugar if it wasn’t syrupy sweet. As I grew older, soda was my crutch. When I started this journey, over 5 years ago I was drinking at least one 2 liter Pepsi per day. (One 2 Liter of Pepsi if you drink the entire bottle has: 850 calories and 232g Sugar.) IMAGINE THAT!!! It was the hardest drug to let go of but I stopped with soda cold turkey and immediately began to lose weight. Did I have withdrawals? YES! Did I give in? NOPE!
Water was hard to stomach because it didn’t have a taste. But just like everything, I made it into a challenge. I researched and learned of its benefits. After learning of its benefits I was intrigued and I continued. Now water is my ONLY drink of choice. I down a gallon per day!
The benefits of drinking water and staying hydrated:
- Weight Loss – Water is one of the best tools for weight loss. Why? Because it often replaces high-calories drinks like soft drinks and alcohol with a drink that has no fat, no calories, no carbs, no sugar. It is also a great appetite suppressant, and often when we think we’re hungry, we’re actually just thirsty. So if you are wanting to lose weight – INCREASE YOUR WATER.
- Energy – Being dehydrated takes away your energy and makes you feel tired. If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated – and this can lead to dizziness, fatigue, muscle weakness and other symptoms.
- Headache Cure – Another symptom of dehydration is headaches. In fact, often when we have headaches it’s simply a matter of not drinking enough water. There are lots of causes for headaches of course but dehydration is a common one.
- Healthy Skin – Drinking water can clear up your skin and help you look more fresh and glowing. Commit to drinking a healthy amount of water over a week and see the effects on your skin.
- Digestive Problems – Our digestive systems need a good amount of water to digest food properly. Often water can help cure stomach acid problems, and water along with fiber can cure constipation (also a result of dehydration).
- Cleansing and Kidney Health – Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. The more water your drink the better your kidneys will function.
- Better Exercise – We all know it is essential to drink water when exercising, but did you know being dehydrated can severely affect your workouts? Slowing your down and making your workouts harder. So the best time to drink water is actually two hours before you plan to exercise and of course during and after.
Here are some tips that I used to stay focused on drinking enough water to experience these benefits.
When you are craving a sweet drink, try sweetening your water with Crystal light sugar-free packets or making fruit infused water that has benefits that you can use. You can find more combinations on Pinterest (follow me @eyecandyinc)
Water is now my drink of choice, I can say with confidence that I haven’t had a soda in over 4 years. I would much rather EAT my calories than drink them!! If you are on a weight loss journey, start by eliminating the calories that you are drinking and replace it with water!! Easiest place to begin.
Get rid of those pointless calories.